December 8, 2010 by Dwight Bernier
This past week at our missional community gathering, we talked about the rhythms in our lives. We also talked about how to live those ordinary rhythms with gospel intentionality. The GCM collective, Soma communities and Windham Baptist Church have taught me so much about these rhythms. So, these are nothing new and are just helping make us more intentional about how we live our lives unto the glory of God and our enjoyment of Him. Here are the 6 rhythms:
rhythm 1 – story-formed – we understand, experience and intersect with God’s Story.
- Learn and communicate the Story of God together
- Become familiar with each other’s stories and the stories of people in the area of Montreal that God has placed us (at work, in our neighborhood, restaurants, etc.)
rhythm 2 – listen – we set aside regular time to listen to God both backward & forward.
- Listen to God together when we gather to discern His will – prayer will be a normal part of meetings
- Set aside regular times to personally listen to God
- Listen to God while listening to those in our MC and mission
- Identify those who listen to God well and seek out more training
rhythm 3 – celebrate – we regularly gather together to celebrate God’s extravagant blessing.
- Gather regularly with our MC and local expression to celebrate God’s grace
- Celebrate God’s grace by coming together around special events
- Join in the celebrations in Montreal in ways that intentionally demonstrate the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Create or serve at 4 key celebrations annually within our mission
rhythm 4 – bless – we intentionally bless others through words, gifts or actions.
- Together make an inventory of what we have been given for the sake of blessing others
- Make our blessings known within Initiative 22 & our city so there is accessibility to what we have.
- Grow in our financial giving together by 1% this year (i.e. from 10% to 11%)
- Designate a specific blessing to specific person/project
rhythm 5 – eat – we regularly eat meals with others to invite them into the community of God.
- Break bread together weekly in homes to remember Jesus’ death for us
- Eat a weekly meal together
- Have one open meal monthly to invite people into our community
- Pick one local restaurant to eat at regularly (minimally 2 times a month)
rhythm 6 – reCreate – we take time to rest, play, create and restore beauty to reflect God to others.
- Work with the city in a specific remodel/refinish project
- Start something for our area of mission
- Vacation/Play together
This is a good place to start in conversation with your community. And consider adopting a covenant within the missional community which communicates this to each one of the members so that they can remind one another what they are about.